Yeah that's what I usually do.  I went through the process with Win2K and
WinXP just now.  Here is what I found:

Win2K -
1) logged on as domain admin,
2) moved to workgroup - silently succeeded
3) did not notice if account was disabled.
4) Rebooted, logged in as local admin,
5) added it back to the domain, same computer name,
6) it asked me for authorized login info to add account, succeeded.
7) Rebooted, logged in as local admin,
8) moved back to workgroup, it told me: This computer was disjoined from the
domain "DOMAIN.COM", but the computer account could not be disabled.  You
should contact your network administrator with this information.
9) Rebooted, joined back to domain with same computer name, no problems.

WinXP -
1) logged on as domain admin,
2) moved to workgroup, asked me for authentication, which I gave without
specifying domain,
3) checked ADUC and computer account was disabled but not deleted.
4) Rebooted, logged in as local admin,
5) added it back to the domain, same computer name,
6) asked me for authorized login info to add account, succeeded.
7) Rebooted, logged in as local admin,
8) moved back to workgroup, asked me for credentials, succeeded.
9) Rebooted, joined back to domain with same computer name, no problems.

It seems that the only difference is that Win2K does not ask for credentials
and either silently succeeds or it fails to disable the account.  XP asks
for credentials.  What's the point in disabling the account?  Not sure.
What does a reset gain you?  Not sure there either, because I never once
deleted the computer name or reset it before adding the computer back to the
domain with the same name.  Granted, the computer NIC and IP and etc was the
same so maybe it checks that before allowing you to add back with an
existing name.  But NT4 didn't allow that, you had to delete the account
first (and sync with the PDC!)

Rich