-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Eric Fleischman
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 7:37 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] [ActiveDir Digest]

If I could correct one thing Neil.....

> 1. Deleted objects can be re-animated from another DC which has yet to
> receive the deletion event, perhaps because that DC is in a site which
> only replicates with it partner sites at certain times of the
day.

That's not a reanimation. This would be marking them as authoritative such
the USNs are bumped up and they replicate out over the deletion of the
object. I make the distinction because you can reanimate a tombstone in
w2k03 using tombstone reanimation (new API available). Just wanted to keep
it clear.

There are some issues with this approach that make it tricky sometimes, but
if you have it set up well and catch it quick enough, simply marking the
objects as authoritative can do it. Further, you may need to mark other
things as authoritative too (I'll leave the definition of "other things" to
the reader as it is tricky to try and define in one paragraph).

This is, at best, a non-trivial problem. There are a few issues that haven't
been mentioned here:
1) Group membership across the NC boundary
2) DN references both intra- and inter-domain.

If I could mention the obvious: the best way to back up your DC is
to....take a backup. For some reason no one has mentioned good 'ol ntbackup.
It gets the job done.  To auth restore an object, sure you need to system
state restore a box, but you're restoring to itself so
(hopefully) that isn't too painful.

One other thing not mentioned: what are you recovering from. If you lose a
dc and it is the only one, sure you need to restore it. If you lose a dc and
you have others, I would say it is best to perform a metadata cleanup and
re-promote the machine. That will be far easier more often than not if it is
an option.

~Eric