There are two distinct issues here - having multiple instances of the same
data for redundancy/fault tolerance, and splitting the data among 4 servers
for a type of load balancing.  I think the latter was the primary goal, is
that right Jennifer?  You just don't want 1 tb on a single server?  Yes with
DFS you can just split it up and have your 250 GB on each. That keeps you
from having all 1000 GB of your files go away if one server dies, and you'll
probably get better response times for your file access.  You can set
certain folders to replicate but not replicate the whole thing of course,
and those folders you designate as having multiple sources and you'll
achieve true load balancing and redundancy for that 20 Mb or so.  The main
concern, as I understand it, with the replicated folders is if people are
liable to modify the same files on different servers at the same time or
before replication occurs if it's not immediate.  Some data lends itself
well to redundancy (frequently used CD images etc) and some things don't do
as well - home directories for sure, and departmental directories depending
on how they're used.  At least that's my opinion from how I've understood
it.

Rich Milburn
MCSE, Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Sr Network Analyst, Field Platform Development
Applebee's International, Inc.
4551 W. 107th St
Overland Park, KS 66207
913-967-2819