From: Eric Fleischman
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, May 09, 2004 5:22 PM
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] LDAP stress tool for AD 2003

I'll weigh in here a bit...

I would argue there are lots of types of "stress" one can put on a DC and no single
metric measures everything. In my brain, I typically first go through the following
checklist of sorts to figure out what I'm looking at when testing a given DC:
0) Will the entire DIT on this DC be cached in memory - how much physical memory do we
have? If dit<=2gb and ram>2gb, probably yes; if dit<=2.6gb and
ram>3gb, are we using /3gb?; if 64bit, how much physical memory do we
have
(as that is the only limit really)?
1) What is functionality level of this domain (2k mixed or 2k native or 2k03
functional) and is the DC also a GC?
2) How many other domains in forest?
3) How many trusts to domains in other forests and downlevel domains?
4) What does the disk subsystem look like on this box? Where are dit and logs stored?

After that is in mind, I ask myself this question: what is the most important thing
this DC will be doing that need be finished quickly? For many DCs, the answer
"authentication" probably comes to mind. For some others (say GCs servicing Exchange)
queries (such as ANR) may be your answer. Still others might be some other application
which it need satisfy. It just depends upon the box.

Then, I look at the box and say logically "is this thing optimized for this scenario".
That's hard for me to quantify really. ;)

Now you indicated ldap calls specifically...within ldap calls we typically think of a
few common things:
0)       can the query be satisfied from info already in cache
1)       is the query hitting solid indexes
2)       within a "slow" query, there are fundamentally two reasons a
query
can be slow:
a.       cpu-bound (such as a large index intersection)
b.       i/o-bound (badly-designed search filter that need walk a lot of
objects as it isn't hitting good indexes)

With the info in those three items, there should be something painstakingly obvious to
you: no single test can adequately measure each of these items. Further, any item from
that list or my earlier list of "general things this DC does" can bog down the DC. We
have some thresholds in place with default values that are typically good (for
example, only 4 LDAP op's processed per physical CPU at a time by default, or perhaps
for you MaxConcurrentAPI will be your bottleneck..I have no idea) to prevent swamping
other subsystems, like I/O or secure channel. These things can be tweaked, but it's
hard to give huge advice that is general enough to be of any use..that's what the
defaults try to do. ;)

I have seen boxes tuned to ANR before that got abused by a bad authentication setup
and consequently, despite the amazing disk i/o subsystem and other things done, came
to its knees due to some bad client requests and bad authentication configuration
server-side. It's worth watching everything the box does. ADPerf is a great tool for
this.

If you give us some further insight in to the types of queries this box will be
servicing we might be of more help. At least I think I might be. ;)

~Eric