Unless you want to start changing your replication schedules explicitly for password resets, you're doing the right thing. Change the password on a DC in the user's site. If you're at SP4 (I think, could have been SP3) then the password change will also get sent on to the PDC emulator immediately. Anytime a user enters an incorrect password, the local DC will pass on the request to the PDCE in case the password had changed on a different DC.

The Account Lockout Status tool is probably the best utility for checking on password replication. Among other things, it will show the timestamp for password last set on each domain controller, so you can have a good idea of the replication state on the change. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d1a5ed1d-cd55-4829-a189-99515b0e90f7&DisplayLang=en (watch for URL wrap)

Hunter

From: Rimmerman, Russ [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 7:07 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: [ActiveDir] Replication issues

We have always been having weird issues with replication.  We have about 30 AD sites all over the world.  When we change or reset a password here for a user at a remote site, it takes quite a long time (30-60 minutes or more) to replicate to the users site.  So, we are having to connect to their local domain contoller and reset the password there.  What is the best practice for setting up and tuning replication and resetting passwords, and what tools are recommended (replmon?) for "testing" it, and how long should it take?
This e-mail is confidential, may contain proprietary information
of the Cooper Cameron Corporation and its operating Divisions
and may be confidential or privileged.

This e-mail should be read, copied, disseminated and/or used only
by the addressee. If you have received this message in error please
delete it, together with any attachments, from your system.