Ken,

I guess it’s the definition of magic here *grin*

Taking raid sets from one machine to another (with an already existing RAID
set), mounting that new RAID set, performing some tasks, passing that raid
set through a third machine, bringing it back to the original server (with
changes applied), and rebooting the original machine, and still having it
work was pretty impressive (esp since each of those three machines had
different RAID controllers and different backplanes - single and dual
channel).  I've tried to do similar things with the Mylex controller series,
but fell over at the first hurdle.  Long story short, we had a service pack
install go awry, and had to manually rollback the SP (rolling back files,
undoing reg changes etc) but were unable to do it on the original server as
it didn’t boot anymore.

Sure, a RAID volume can get corrupted, and I take your point that some of
the lower level tools may not be available.  I haven't been in a position in
recent memory where I have needed something like that (but it might have
been helpful).

That all being said, I DO have a gripe with HP at the moment with the new
6400 series controllers and HP's lack of support for older hard drives
(9/18gb especially).  The 6400 controller recommends you *upgrade* the
firmware, then *insists* you upgrade and halts at each boot until you do
it....problem is, HP haven't released the appropriate firmware *sigh*

Planned obsolesce I'm thinking.

Glenn