Title: AD, GPO and Technet
I prefer to do it per machine assignment. The reasoning is, and correct me if I am wrong, that if I, or some other admin, goes to another computer(such as a normal user) and logs in, then TechNet would install on 'that' computer. If I do it by machine, then I know that it will only install on the computers I want, and no others.

Let me back up a sec;

I first I did the following -

Performing an Administrative Install and Copying to a Network Share

Two options exist for creating administrative installs and copying TechNet to a network share.

A. Automated Administrative Installs: Netcopy.exe, located at the root of Technical Information CD 1 and International Technical Information CD 1, is an executable that facilitates administrative installs by walking administrators through the creation of a network installation point from which users can install TechNet. This tool automates many of the steps that administrators have previously had to run manually, which are described below and are still valid.

NOTE:  Administrators can use Netcopy.exe for quiet installs by typing the following into the command line:

netcopy.exe /qb TARGETDIR="<path to network share>"

B. Manual Administrative Installs: To perform a manual administrative install, you must first upgrade the Windows Installer by navigating to Technical Information CD 1 and double-clicking on either instmsia.exe (Microsoft Windows® 98 / Windows ME) or instmsiw.exe (Microsoft Windows NT® 4.0 / Windows 2000). If you have Windows XP, you already have the correct Windows Installer version and you can proceed to the following steps:

  1. Identify the network share where you will install.
  2. On the Start menu, click Run:

Non-Quiet Install: msiexec /a <path to tn.msi (located in the root of CD 1)>

Quiet Install: msiexec /qb /a <path to tn.msi (located in the root of CD 1)> TARGETDIR="<path to network share>"

NOTE: International customers with International Technical Information CD 1 and International Technical Information CD 2 will need to use tni.msi in place of tn.msi.

  1. You will be prompted to insert Technical Information CD 2 so the content files on that CD can be copied.
  2. When complete, instruct users to run setup.exe from the network share location.

NOTE: You should set the Network Location path to include at least two levels or folders. For example, use file://xxshare/yyfolder rather than \\xxshare. If you just enter the "root" or first level of a network share, an internal error will result.

I tried the 'netcopy', first, thinking that I did something wrong. I then did the 'non-quiet install' but I included the TARGETDIR, which is e:\technetshare\technet.

I then went to the GPM and created the GP based on these instructions -

Machine Assignment

  • Expand Computer Configuration > Software Settings
  • Right click on Software Installations and select New > Package
  • Browse to the location of the TN.MSI file
  • Click Ok
  • Reboot the client machine and watch the product install
I did the above and rebooted my computer, but it didn't install. So, what am I leaving out?