You could also do this with a script. NTDSutil is fine or the GUI choices but to complete Robbie’s three step approach that he uses in his AD Cookbook, here is his script. (Man I love this book, it is lasting a long time although pages are ripped and dog eared.)

‘---------- config

strNewObner – “<NewRoleOwner>” ‘ name of system

‘---------- end config

Set objRootDSE = GetObject(“LDAP://” & strNewOwner & “/RootDSE”)

objRootDSE.Put “becomePDC”, 1

objRootDSE.SetInfo

‘---------- End Script

Depending on role to be transferred you can use the following.

becomeDomainMaster

becomeInfrastructureMaster

becomePDC

becomeRidMaster