Confused a little:
How can DHCP manage IP addresses it considers out of scope?  Or are you
referring to the idea that DHCP is allowed to register DNS addresses
perhaps?

As for the differences?  Having used both, I'd say both have plusses and
minusses.
On the plus side, QIP is pretty feature rich and shops that have their
DHCP/DNS controlled by the networking folks, have often picked this setup
for the features it provides.  It's not a lot of features, but for some they
are important.
On the minus side, it can be expensive to own DNS/DHCP if you pay for QIP.
I've seen shops that spent a TON of money to own the same features they
could have had with BIND and last I checked QIP doesn't support the concept
of authenticated updates.  It's either permission the zones or don't, but
you can't use active directory authentication to allow DDNS updates.  That
sucks.  Additionally, since it's a third party app, you will run into issues
where you can't update the host it runs on due to incompatability; btdt :)

To say you can't manage Microsoft's DNS/DHCP just tells me you're not into
scripting.  It's all available, it's just not all in the GUI.

Personally, I'd trade authenticated updates/cost of ownership over some of
that functionality.  I can create DNS zones for IP addresses that DHCP
doesn't manage.  I can create scopes that cover all of my ip address ranges,
just some hosts wouldn't use the DHCP scope, right?

Plenty of ways I can do this solution based on the network and the hard and
fast requirements vs. the nice to have ideas. Management of IP addresses is
ambiguous outside of your organization; we need some background to
understand what they mean.

FWIW, some of the largest networks out there use Microsoft DNS/DHCP and do
so just fine. Yours would be a pretty small network comparatively speaking
;)

Here's a nice glossy faq that gives some contrast as well:
http://www.lucent.com/livelink/0900940380026b9c_FAQ.pdf
My thoughts anyway.

Al