From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 1:22 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Renaming The Admin Account

You could argue that. But, if you consider the fact that most hackwares and
viruses/trojans that carry their own account/password dictionaries don't do
SID enumeration, you'd understand the significance of renaming the accounts.
Because they don't do SID enumeration/translation, these hackwares are
useless against your infrastructure because they just go through looking for
accounts named "Administrator" or "admin" or "root" and similar. If they
don't find one, they move on.

Unless you are a direct target of concentrated hack/crack attempts, it's not
common for SID translation to be done.

Sincerely,

Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services