mind.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Grillenmeier, Guido
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 4:57 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Renaming The Admin Account

Rocky - this thread is actually quite incredible - you're wandering from
user and group names and object types to NTFS permission and nesting objects
into groups, over to discussing SIDs and friendly names, and now you're
talking about the visibility of memberships of groups in AD ;-)

Also, I don't know about your domain, but I never knew that there was an
account called "Domain Admin" - by default, you should only have an
"Administrator" account that is member of the "Domain Admins" group (and if
this is the root, it would also be member of the "Enterprise Admins" and
"Schema Admins" group)...  Besides the Best Practise of renaming the default
Adminstrator account (not group), it's also a good practise to take it out
of the Schema Admins group (this group should be empty until you want to
change anything in the schema - will prevent accidental schema extensions,
e.g. by some crappy program or script)

So, I'm not sure which is the part that's really most painful to you, but I
guess you mainly want to hide any hints to the default Admin account in your
domain as otherwise renaming them doesn't make any sense to you - is that
about right?

I think Deji already covered very well on how you shouldn't set ACLs for any
user-account directly - you'll merely do so via groups and the account that
has access to the (non-homeshare) resource won't be visible by looking at
the ACLs of the machine. This includes administrative accounts.

And if people see a group on an ACL (e.g. Domain Admins), you don't want
them to be able to lookup who is a Domain Admin by checking the
group-membership of that group - right again?

This can also be resolved by setting the appropriate permissions on the
respective AD OU which contains the groups (or any other objects) which you
don't want your users to view.  E.g. move your administrative accounts and
the Domain Admins group to a separate OU in your domain and then remove the
Read permissions for Authenticated Users on that OU - this will hinder them
to browse to that OU and so they can't even try to open the group to see the
content.  You could also work with permissions on the groups themselves, but
that's more and unnessesary work.  If you don't even want your users to see
the "special" OU, then you'll have to work with the List Object permission.

LIST OBJECT is not active or visible in the ACL Editor by default. To
activate (for whole AD forest) change the DSHeuristics property on the
Directory Service object (cn=Directory Service,cn=Windows
NT,cn=Services,cn=Configuration,dc=ForestRootDomain) to 001. The first two
bits impact the ANR searching in AD, so don't change them without knowing
what you want them to be.

BTW, it's much easier to implement the strategy of a "special" OU (e.g.
"Domain Operations"), when you have separate accounts for administrative
users - i.e. they have another "normal" account for eMail etc.  All
adminsitrative accounts should be in this special OU.

And thanks for the flowers in your previous mails - I'll send some of them
to Deano ;-)

Cheers,
Guido