OK; Friday afternoon, brain fade time...
I have my production internal domains. W2K3 AD, AD-integrated DNS.
External-facing DNS is hosted by ISP. If I dig or nslookup for
mail.essexcredit.com from an outside host, I get our proper public IP
address. If I do the same from inside, I get our private Nat'd IP
address. I seem to remember setting up an alias for it, but I need to
change it now and I can't for the life of me remember where it is.
Nslookup gives the correct address, but with "non-authoritative answer".
Dig gives me:
C:\Dig>dig mail.essexcredit.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.3 <<>> mail.essexcredit.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mail.essexcredit.com.          IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mail.essexcredit.com.   1273    IN      A       <inside IP address>

;; Query time: 40 msec
;; SERVER: <inside DNS server address>#53(inside DNS server address)
;; WHEN: Fri Sep 17 17:01:08 2004
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 54

I don't have a domain zone for essexcredit.com, although I think I might
have at one point when we were doing some testing. If it had been
removed, say, 5 months ago, would that record still be there?
How can I find the DNS server that is authoritative for this record so I
can change it?
Thanks!