Well, I kinda figured this one out, but I'm still not sure how it's happening. The
whole point of this was to move the external-facing SMTP connector from an exch 5.5
box to a new E2K3 box. Didn't want to change external DNS if I didn't have to.
I changed the static NAT mapping in our PIX to point to the new server. I figured that
maybe there was something with the PIX doing it, even though the config doesn't show
it (and no, smtp fixup isn't on). Once I did that, the DNS entry changed immediately.
I still don't know how, though. Something to wade through Cisco's site and research, I
guess. In my spare time. <G>
Your test, which was exactly what I was looking for, BTW, showed that the auth record
is indeed an outside DNS server. So somehow, the PIX is natting the DNS entry?
Strange.
The connector works fine, and mail is flowing. We'll see where it goes for a while...
Thanks, Deji.

Charlie Kaiser
MCSE, CCNA
Systems Engineer