In our domain we have users with roaming profiles.  I would like to use DFS for redundancy and performance.

I know that when DFS is initially configured, it creates a share pointing to the DFS root.  Does anyone see any problem with configuring a DFS root to an existing share?  The sharename is hidden with a $.

Does anyone know what will happen if I decide to remove the DFS root should I make a mistake and decide to start over?  Will roaming profiles be broken or any other problems since I am using an existing share?

I set up DFS once and it was a bit confusing to set up last time.  I hope not to have problems again but I of course want to cover all of my bases.

Thank you for your replies.