You NEED to create a share for the root (previously or during DFS config).
Most of the time I use a hidden share, with no problem (at least I don't
detect any). When using a hidden share for the root nobody can find the DFS
share (not directly visible). If you use a non-hidden share and your DFS
links use hidden share because you don't want everyone to find them, what's
the point of using a non-hidden share for the root if everyone still has the
possibility to see all DFS links"?

I don't know what you mean with "existing share" but I presume you mean a
share you already use to shared your data on the network.
If you use an existing share and that share already has information and FRS
replication is enabled for the root it will also replicate that information
around. In my opinion I would create and empty non-replicating root-share
with replicating DFS links. The DFS info is replicated through AD if you
choose a domain DFS. For a server DFS there is no redundancy for the root.
To build redundandy for the DFS links that belong to a server DFS you need
to set replication yourself with some tool that "understands" differences
(e.g. robocopy). Personally I like to use DFS when it hosts READ-ONLY data
(e.g. software distribution through AD)(the files are updated at only one
location).
All that about DFS

I shoudn't combine DFS, FRS (for the replication of roaming profiles) and
roaming. Reason... Roaming profiles always change after logging on and off
so that creates replication trafic. That just for one user. Imagine 1000
users.. I think FRS goes crazy and there are some issue with it. See the
links below.

For more info on DFS, FRS and roaming profiles see:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/dfsfaq.mspx
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=830856

Regards,
Jorge