By default, DNS queries are done over UDP. UDP is stateless - and therefore
there is no automatic reverse allow created by firewalls. So what's
happening is that you're probably failing the UDP request because the
response can't come back in to the DNS server, at which point your DNS
servers fail over to TCP and more often than not are able to complete the
lookups.

Now - I also know some people block all TCP traffic to their DNS servers so
if you're DNS servers can't do UDP, you can't resolve from their servers.

--------
Roger Seielstad
E-mail Geek & MS-MVP

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/list_faq.htm