Hi Rob,

Why not install AD/DNS on both servers?

Steps you could take:
* Install W2K3 on both servers
* Configure each server with a unique IP address, a preferred DNS server
being the server itself and a alternate DNS servers being the other servers.
If WINS is needed configure each server with only 1 WINS server being
itself. Also assign each server the same primary DNS suffix (Control Panel,
System, Computer Name, etc.)
* Install DNS on both servers and configure accordingly. Create a zone on
one of the DNS with the same name as the primary DNS suffix configured on
both servers
* Install WINS on both servers if needed and assign each server as the
replication partner (push/pull) of the other
* Promote the server with the DNS zone configured to a DC. Assign as the DNS
domain name the same name as the primary DNS suffix configured on both
servers. Accept the suggested NetBIOS name for the domain
* Promote the other server to a DC
* Configure additional security/functionality on the DNS zones like zone
type (AD int.), securre updates, replication scope, etc.
* Transfer FSMO roles as needed
* Configure sites, subnets as needed
* Configure OU structure as needed
* etc..

I may have forgotten something but this should do it
Cheers
Jorge

NOTE: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and with no
rights!