An “internal” virtual network can be configured to allow all Virtual hosts to communicate together without interacting with other physical hosts on the VS2005 servers “real” network.

VMs can be connected to the real network of the VS2005 server allowing them to interact with all hosts on the “real” network regardless of OS.

Duplicating virtual machines is as simple as copying the disk file and then attaching the disk file to a new VM configuration.  IN the case of a Windows based VM sysprep should be used to “clean-up” the image.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Noah Eiger
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 12:24 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] OT: Virtual Server 2005

Hello:

Is anyone using Virtual Server 2005? I am running a TechNet demo copy and had some questions. Documentation and support has been spotty (e.g., the newsgroup is not up and running yet). Here are a few questions. Any thoughts or pointers to web resources appreciated.

-          I can’t seem to figure out how you would set up a virtual network (using a virtual w2k3 server for dns, dhcp, etc.) and then route that out to the Internet. I guess one would need a virtual router/gateway. I think the virtual DHCP server does this.

-          Is it possible to setup a virtual network that could also interact with other OS machines (e.g., Linux, MacOS X, etc.). I want to setup a virtual Windows network but also allow other OS machines to access file and directory services and Exchange.

-          How would you duplicate virtual machines? It seems that once you have built a single W2k3 server and patched it, you could simply copy it and then sysprep it.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

-- nme