From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 3:58 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] virus/worm

Hi, I've noticed on several occasions that after a
certain machine got raped by viruses, even when
removed and the machine has all latest datfiles and
critical patches, the viruses keep on coming on in and
afflicting the same machine again and again and again.
As stated, this happens even AFTER the previously
infected machine has been cleaned and "protected" with
updates and datfiles.

I think, in summary, that sometimes the damage caused
by virus infections is permanent, regardless of what
you read on antivirus vendor's websites.

A total software rebuild has been necessary on all
occasions as described above.

If the systems you mention have not had known virus
infection and subsequent "fix" then ignore this email.
But in my experience the antivirus vendors DO NOT TELL
US EVERYTHING...

Cheers and good luck.
DDH

> Hi all. I am having a serious issue with bot type
worms that keep infecting my machines
over and over. It doesn't matter that I'm fully
patched and my virus defs are up to date.
> I use Symantec Corporate Edition 9.0 in a win2k
mixed mode AD enviroment. My machines all
have the most up to date patches and hot fixes.
> I have seen machines that are up to date in
everything get reinfected time and time again.
The worm is a varient of what Symantec calls
Spybot.worm32. It usually creates a exe in
system32 called Explorer.exe or 386.exe or
svchosting.exe and no matter the defs it slips
by Symantec.

> This is a posting perhaps better sent to a virus or
Symantec list,but you guys seem really
knowldgeable  and I'd like to pick your collective
brains about how to deal with this
issue.
> I assume its getting in via laptop users wh take
their pc's home at nite or some of our
traveling sales guys,but if my desktops are up to date
and patched,they should'nt get
infected.
> No?
> Am I being naive?
>

> Finally,we are a liqour distributor and alot of
times we have suppliers from other
companies come in with laptops that give powerpoint
presentations and access our internet
connection. These guys are from elsewhere so they
don't have accounts in our domain and
thus log in locally.
> How can i protect myself against these guys?
Management insits they be allowed to do their
thing with their laptops on our network when they come
in and since they don't log into
our domain,I can't even push out a GPO and I'm at the
mercy of these guys and what hteir
IT dept did or did not do.
> Help!
>

> Thanks alot. If I can get a solution to just one of
these 2 questions,I'll be a happy man.

> List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/list_faq.htm
40mail.activedir.org/

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/list_faq.htm