IDS isn’t going to protect you from these worms… let’s initially focus on that:-

I’m just going to ramble and we can then home in on a solution…

It’s hard to believe patched machines are being re-infected.. but it does happen. I suspect you have a rogue machine which isn’t managed in your domain environment and you aren’t aware of, i.e. a 98 machine, workgroup, user home laptop, etc.

It does sound like your Watchguard box isn’t really upto the job… especially as you are specifically blocking ports. It shouldn’t be processing blocked packets, thus shouldn’t be under that high stress, unless you are logging everything. I’m not a Watchguard expert so maybe it deals with packets differently. This is all an ‘if’ scenario. I guess we need to ascertain:-

What size is your network, i.e. Nodes?

Which Watchguard model do you have?

Lan switches?

WAN Links.

(Send a reply to me direct if you don’t want to broadcast your details)

It depends on your environment, but if you are sizeable, i.e. over 200+ users then I would shoot for something like Checkpoint with the SmartDefense subscription. This will do deep inspection and cut out worms at the gateway, i.e. stopping them entering the ‘secured’ LAN. They are way ahead of the game compared to Cisco (…hearing Cisco fans smacking out angered replies).

BR

Rob