Hi Rubix,

I'm not sure what you mean, but HTH. A user in AD has the following names:

A. CN = common name = Name column in tools = RDN (e.g. Jack Brown or CN=Jack
Brown)
B. First name = givenName (e.g. Jack)
C. Last name = sn (e.g. Brown)
D. Display name = displayName (e.g. Jack Brown)
E. User logon name = userPrincipalName = UPN = "long logon name" (e.g. [EMAIL
PROTECTED])
F. User logon name (pre-Win2000) = sAMAccountName = SAM name = NT name = short
logon name (e.g. JackB)

A and F are mandatory, the rest are optional. E and F the user can use for
logon, interchangeably. The label of F includes "pre-Win2000", but it's a
little incorrect, because you can use is practically anywhere in Windows 2000
and newer.

The samid option of DSAdd is the same as F above, and it should work as a
username for you (depending on what you mean).

Yours, Sakari