Are you asking if Microsoft decided not to use groupofnames in favor of
security groups or are you asking why they put groupofnames in the schema?

I can't speak to the former, but I'd say the latter is due to it being part
of many other ldap schemas (RFC 2256 put defines it).

Many other mailers do use groupofnames as their distribution lists,
including Exchange 5.5 IIRC.  Having that in there would be a good idea for
that if for no other reason.

It's an auxilliary class and is defined in RFC 2256 ICYGAF.

I would guess that's how it got included, and the value-add of reusing
security principals might have been too much to pass up.  I'm guessing on
that part though.

Personally, I wouldn't use them for Exchange.  I would for qmail or postfix
or some other mailer that needed to use LDAP as it's directory, but not for
Exchange.

-ajm