From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 22:18 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Remote Assistance

Without pointing fingers, or mentioning "short" names, here's my stance on
sniffing traffic for diagnosis. It is a GREAT concept IF you know what you are
looking for. Merely firing up Netmon/Ethereal and such will not be productive
without the necessary capabilities to discern and interpret the traffic. I
know, because I was a victim. Took me a 3-hour call and escalations to MS
before I could resolve a whacky (OK, unique) problem where Exchange insisted on
doing NetBIOS name calls when I expected it to do FQDN during a migration
project. RASDIAG saved my life, thanks to the MS dude.

So, is there any interest in putting together something along the line of
"Capturing and Interpreting Network Traffic 101"? I volunteer to be an active
participant in the project. I think this will help many of our audience on this
list and beyond.

Sincerely,

Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
www.readymaids.com - we know IT
www.akomolafe.com
Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about Yesterday?
 -anon