throwing the referral, the query you neglect to show is.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mikael Håkansson
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2005 4:10 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] "A referral was returned from the server" when
executing a query.

I´m working on an application for listing contacts and address lists in
active directory. But I get an error everytime I execute a query.

I´m using the DirectoryServices namespace in .NET (which encapsulates the
Active Directory Service Interfaces) to communicate with Active Directory

1. I bind to the RootDSE object to retrieve the DN of the configuration
container and the root domain.
  According to the log file, I get:
  Configuration container: DC=configuration,DC=myDomain,DC=com
  Root Domain: DC=myDomain,DC=com

2. I connect to the configuration container and retrieve all the address
lists (using the directorySearcher with the filter
"(&(|(objectClass=addressBookContainer)(objectClass=msExchOAB))(purportedSea
rch=*))"

... so far so good ...

3. I then connect using the value from the rootDomainNamingContext property.
  (this gives me the path: "LDAP://DC=myDomain,DC=com";)
  This works fine.

... Now the problem begin ...

I use the .NET DirectorySearcher class to execute an ldap query agains
active directory.
(the query is taken from the currently selected address list)

Whenever I execute a query, I get an exception:
-2147016661  "A referral was returned from the server"

This is usually an indication that the DN is wrong (i.e the server does not
exist), but it doesn´t add up since I´m able to connect and retrieve the
address lists.

I have set the option to follow all referrals (subordinal & external).

Does anyone know what might be wrong?
I´m pretty convinced it is not a programming error. Probably just my lack of
knowlegde regarding Active Directory :)

Thanks