joe wrote:
> O'Reilly's Active Directory book is a good primer. That is the first
> AD book I read (it was first edition back then though). Once you have
> the basics down I would recommend moving into Active Directory
> Cookbook also by O'Reilly and Inside Active Directory, 2e from
> Addison-Wesley; both excellent books with very different goals.  The
> cookbook gives you "recipes" for getting common tasks done. Inside AD
> is a great book for understanding a lot of the details. It is
> probably the only book I have tech reviewed where I was often
> saying... "Wow, I didn't know that" followed quickly by, "How did
> Mika and Sakari get this info?".

It was my impression that AD is MS's version of a ldap dir sevice with certain
properitary schema to allow for MS specific objects/attributes and Kerberos
realms in place of domains to allow for transisitve trusts and mutal auth with
support for external domain trusts and ntlm only for backwards compatibilty.
And aside from the schema additions and a different replication topolgy and the
way the dir is sliced and diced(config namming context,domain namming
context,etc), its a true ldap server no different from NDS or Open-LDAP.
Esp since win2k3 and the InterOrgPerson.
Am I totally off base here?
Its def not a gui for ldap but just a ldap server with those changes/mods

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx