-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Pelle, Joe
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 8:09 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] WINS topic

I know there has been some debate in this group recently about WINS in AD
but I wanted to get your feedback regarding an empty root domain:

Do you need a WINS server in an empty root domain?  If so, would pointing
WINS back to the child domain WINS server be a bad idea?  Other than AD
traffic nothing should be happening at the root level (other than DNS
forwarding) so I'm not sure I understand why WINS would be needed...  We
have Exchange 2003 running (which I realize has somewhat of a dependency on
WINS) but the Exchange server(s) are in the child domain where we have WINS
already running.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Joe Pelle

Senior Infrastructure Architect

Information Technology

Valassis / IT

19975 Victor Parkway Livonia, MI 48152

Tel 734.591.7324  Fax 734.632.6151

http://www.valassis.com/ <http://www.valassis.com/>

This message may include proprietary or protected information. If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify me, delete this message, and do
not further communicate the information contained herein without my express
written consent.

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx