Philip, below is a doc I wrote to set up or refresh our lab (using the LDIFDE
method), with the names
changed to protect the guilty. A couple of batch scripts are included that you
can modify. Hope it
helps.

*******************

1. Ldifde is loaded by default on servers but not workstations. If running this
command on a workstation, you must first copy the ldifde.exe file from the
WINNT\System32 folder on a server to a location on your system.
2. Since the command with all of the required attributes is quite long, batch
files
have been created. The contents of these files are listed in the appendix.
3. The batch files reference specifically the my.domain.com domain, export
server
SERVER1 (production) and import server SERVER99 (lab). If any of these
components change or if the goal is to export/import a different domain, the
appropriate changes will have to be made to the batch files
4. Including many attributes creates a very large export file. Verify that
enough disk
space is available before beginning (about 70 MB currently)
5. Other command options are available, see KB237677 at this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/s
upport/kb/articles/Q237/6/77.ASP&NoWebContent=1
6. Passwords are not included in the export. Therefore, when the import is
performed, passwords for each user are blank
7. Administrator is not included in the export, to avoid overwriting the
existing Administrator

Section 1: Export OUs and Users from the Production Directory
1. Log on to the exporting domain as an administrator
2. Batch files are located on \\SERVER1\C$\SCRIPTS
3. Run the batch file export_OUs.bat (see appendix for command) Note: folder
c:\temp must already exist. File created will be exportOU.ldf
4. Run the batch file export_users.bat (see appendix for command) Note: File
created will be exportUser.ldf
5. Save the two ldf files to a CD since the production and test environments
are not
networked together
6. Also copy the following scripts from server \\SERVER1\C$\SCRIPTS to the
same CD:
a. Import_ous.bat
b. Import_users.bat

Section 2: Import OUs and Users into the Test Lab Active Directory
1. Copy the files from the CD to C:\Temp on the import domain controller
SERVER99
2. Remove the read-only attribute from the files
3. Open a command prompt and launch c:\temp\import_ous.bat. If any OUs are
missing in the test lab that are present in the production environment, they
will be
created. Others are ignored
4. From the command prompt, launch c:\temp\import_users.bat. If any users are
missing in the test lab that are present in the production environment, they
will be
created with their associated attributes. Accounts are created disabled, and the
password set to null. This is because LDIFDE does not support
exporting/importing passwords
5. When the batch files have completed, verify that no errors were reported, and
check for the existence of the new users in ADUC.
6. Close the command prompt window and delete the contents of c:\temp

Appendix

Script Contents

Export_OUs.bat
ldifde - f c:\temp\exportOu.ldf -s server1 -d "dc=my,dc=domain,dc=com" -p
subtree -r
"(objectClass=organizationalUnit)" -l "cn,objectclass,ou"
Export_Users.bat
ldifde - f c:\temp\exportusers.ldf -s server1 -d "dc=my,dc=domain,dc=com" -p
subtree -r
"(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=User)(givenname=*))" - l
"cn,givenName,objectClass,sAMAccountName,sn,employeeType,title,employeeID,middleName,co
mpany,physicalDeliveryOfficeName,scriptPath,userAccountControl,unicodePWD,pwdL
astSet,displayName,distinguishedName"

Import_OUs.bat
ldifde - i -k -f c:\temp\exportou.ldf -s server99

Import_Users.bat
ldifde - i -k -f c:\temp\exportusers.ldf -s server99