Apparently we have had for the past three months a persistent but not predictable issue with large and nested DL expansion. These are always DLs that are nested usually three to four levels deep and ultimately expand to tens of thousands of mailboxes. There are three global catalogs in the Exchange site, and they sit all day around 3%. No load issues, all 2k3 SP1, have been built to spec by yours truly in December I believe. Nothing weird going on with them that I can see.

There are two issues that crop up, one newer than the other. Issue #1 (original) is that quite simply it will take a couple tries of sending a message to a DL to get everybody to get it – some folks get it twice, some get it once. When you do a message tracking it just sort of falls off the face of the Earth as far as delivery to the folks that don’t get it twice.

Now issue #2 is that as of late some DLs just hang up in the submission to categorizer if you look in message tracking. Takes a couple tries to get the categorizer to categorize. Everything but the OWAs is 2000 SP3 w/ the rollup.

I just started looking at this today, and quite frankly I’ve gotten to the end of my short list of things to check. I cranked up diagnostic logging for DSAccess and SMTP on the gateways and the mailbox server hosting the mailbox that blasts these DLs. Haven’t found anything useful.

Thanks,
Brian Desmond

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

c - 312.731.3132