-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Rick Kingslan
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 9:04 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Domain Admins Group Membership

Yes, I do.  But, his question had nothing to do with "Is it right or
not?"
I count on joe to totally over-react to such things!

:op

But, just for the record, I don't condone in any way the overuse or the
mismanagement of advanced privileges and rights for convenience in any
way,
shape or form.

I, personally, prefer to see a 'role based' administration model in
which
the defined NEEDS (as compared to the whacked out wants of most
technical
people) are developed in conjunction with the Technical people doing the
work and the Technical staff in one's Information Security dept.

These roles would align with what technical staff do.  I only NEED one
or
two Domain Admins.  On the other hand, I need a bunch of people that can
manage, add, modify users, groups and computers, but they still have to
earn
the privilege.  Same goes with GPO, etc, etc, etc.  Just because you can
spell GPO doesn't mean I trust you to work on them.

And, I am also a strong believer that if you can review event logs to
determine health of machines from your desktop, then why do you RDP to
servers?  I'm also not going to give you the right to shut down systems
just
because you think you're making MY life easier. Wake me up...  If it
needs
to be shut down, I'll do it.

I also am a strong believer in change control and following procedure.
But,
if you've done none of the above - then why bother with Change Control
or
procedures?  Both assume that there is a sequence of control built into
your
systems - which if you're not doing the above - isn't the case.

Rick