Attention: Non-Delivery Report

This report is generated by the email server at:

       ivytech.edu

The message with subject:

       "RE: [ActiveDir] User with LDAP userPassword permissions"

and attached to this report was not delivered to
the following recipients:

Address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Reason:  554 5.5.2 No valid recipients (554)
--------------

--- Begin Message ---

I didn’t see any responses to this… don’t know if I missed an answer… but you should be able to ACL the Write permission to the userPassword property to any account you want…  and you’re right to do it to a “limited” account, although I’d be concerned about ANY code that could be accessed and leveraged to change passwords… but that’s a security discussion, not a delegation discussion…

What’s the actual PROBLEM?  Is it the delegation or how to do it?  I’ve not dealt with that attribute recently, but I might have the piece (that most people miss) for you.  Hopefully this is the answer:

You need to “expose” the permissions for that property in order to delegate them.  There are LOTS of properties of a user (and other objects) that are “hidden” to keep the ACL Editor “clean.”

On the machine FROM WHICH YOU ADMINISTER, open Notepad and open %windir%\system32\dssec.dat

Find the section [user].

Find the line userPassword=7.  Delete it.  (the =7 “hides” the permissions for this property in the ACL editor)

Restart AD Users & Computers.

In ADU&C View – Advanced Features.

Right-click the OU that contains the users for whom you want this PHP app to set the passwords for.

Security – Advanced – Add

Specify the account (or a group containing the account) used by the PHP app.

In the dialog box, click the PROPERTIES tab.

In the drop down list, choose USER OBJECTS.

Scroll down and you’ll find Write userPassword.

If this doesn’t work, or wasn’t quite the problem you were having, please reply.  IN such case, please let us know what domain and forest functional level you’re running and if you have SP1 on your W2K3 DCs.  It makes a difference, as you might know.

Dan