>> why can't they create a mailbox for a regular user?

Simply, the Account Operator is designed to work as a principal that allows
work on accounts as they are BY DEFAULT out of Windows Server.

The real reason is that there is typically, in most medium to large
organizations, there is a mail admin team and a server admin team (at least
it was VERY much this way with Exch 5.5).

Separation of the functions was a goal to carry forward - but it could only
be done by Group membership / permissions on attributes.

If you take a look at the Advanced Security properties of a user, and drill
in to the permissions granted to the AO, you're going to find that the
permission for the Exchange functions are not granted.

Rick