From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Eric Fleischman
Sent: Wed 8/17/2005 9:52 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] cloning DC's

There is a way to have your cake and eat it too, however.

Take a backup of the DC, then use the install from media (IFM) feature
to dcpromo more machines in to the environment using the backup taken as
a seed for the dataset. This will allow you to rapidly bring up new DCs
without having to re-source all of the info yet still not do damage to
your environment (with the definition of "do damage" left out for
brevity, as it has been covered on this DL previously if memory serves
me correctly).

IFM was added in WS2003 to address scenarios such as this.

~Eric