Title: RE: [ActiveDir] OT:Exchange 2003 SP1 bloat
You can get all of the pre-2K names of all domains in a forest by looking at the nETBIOSName attribute of the crossref objects in the partitions container of the configuration container. You want anything with systemflags&2.

You do not want to pick off the name attribute of the domaindns object because if you have a disjoint namespace going on (DNS name does not match NetBIOS name) then you will not get it right.

As for Net View, I believe that uses NetServerEnum which enumerates the machines with server service registered, I think, with the browser service. The browser service being a poor mechanism for finding really anything in a larger environment with multiple subnets especially if you have any multihomed machines or filtering rules. Also anyone that shuts down server on their machine (or it otherwise failed to start) wouldn't show up.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of SysPro Support
Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2005 1:54 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] Getting the Pre Windows 2000 name for a domain

Hi,

I have a requirement to determine the machines that are currently online for a particular domain. I use the Net View  command and give it a domain name such as:

Net View /Domain:DomName

Since  I know the Fully qualified Domain name AAA.BBB.CCC then I use:-

Net View /Domain:AAA

and it normally works. However I have one client that uses a different Pre Windows 2000 name (don't ask me why). I tried the following bit of code to try and programmatically work out the Pre Windows 2000 name:-

    Dim Sdou As IADs
    Dim PropertyValue As Variant

    Set Sdou = GetObject("LDAP://DC=AAA,DC=BBB,DC=CCC")
    For Each PropertyValue In Sdou.GetEx("Name")
        If PropertyValue <> "" Then
            MsgBox PropertyValue
        End If
    Next
but it just returned AAA.

So, is there a property in Active Directory that returns the Pre Windows 2000 name?

Alternatively, is there anyway to determine the machines that are online via AD, rather than via the Net View command?

Alan Cuthbertson