Boris,

Adding a second domain controller to an Active Directory environment is
a recommended best practice.  Information within Active Directory will
replicate between the two controllers and it will provide fault
tolerance in the event a single controller fails.  It is not a
substitute for a backup of the AD environment, which should be created
and tested to address failure of all your controllers, or data
corruption.

When you add the second domain controller, it will not take the PDC
emulator role which was assigned to the first DC during your domain
upgrade or creation phase.  If the first domain controller fails, the
second controller will take over most operations of the Active Directory
environment, but you should be aware of your FSMO roles, what they are,
what DC they are assigned to, and how to gracefully and forcefully
migrate them if needed.  This is also important if you have an Exchange
server in your environment.

Windows 2000 Active Directory FSMO roles
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q197132/

How to view and transfer FSMO roles in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324801

FSMO placement and optimization on Active Directory domain controllers
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223346

Microsoft's Active Directory Site
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/directory/active
directory/default.mspx

I haven't used Samba in production enough to comment on your other
question.  Hopefully some of the information above is helpful.

Thanks.

Keith Duemling

- end -