From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Bernard, Aric
Sent: Mon 9/26/2005 7:02 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Domain-wide operations masters change

Are you asking if there is a way to do this with out using the event logs?

The only option I can think of is gathering all of the persons with permissions
and beating them about the head until somebody confesses.  Come to think of it
that could generate some false positives. :-)

If you have access to the logs and need to narrow down the time in which the
change occurred, you can look at the whenChanged attribute (in GMT) for the
following objects

CN=RID Manager$,CN=System,DC=YourDomain,DC=YourDomainSuffix

CN=Infrastructure, DC=YourDomain,DC=YourDomainSuffix

The PDC role is defined in an attribute fSMORoleOwner on the domain head object
for the domain in question.  Determining when this attribute was changed would
have to be done with repadmin or another utility (as opposed to ADSIEdit which
can give you the information on the other two).

I believe that event ID 1458 is what you need to look for in the Application
log on either (or both) the system that originally held the role and the one
that requested the transfer. The user that requested the transfer should be
identified.

If you do not have access to the logs I suggest that you discuss changing your
log retention policies by either keeping more information "live" on the DC or
by archiving old information on a regular basis. Another option would be to
implement some sort of log collection system.

HTH

Aric