Just bring up a new 2k3 server, DCPromo it and it will do the rest as the first 2k3 DC.  Once it is successfully promoted transfer all roles.  Once you are sure everything is transferred and working correctly you can DCPromo to demote the old server wipe reinstall whatever.  There is no coexistence other than working in Hybrid mode, and you can switch it to native once all of your 2K DCs are upgraded to 2K3.

As to moving DNS, WINS, DHCP if your DC is serving all those functions then yes activate them on the new server, and make sure you have updated the required clients to point at the new server for those services.  If those services are working on a separate stand-alone server then don't worry about them other than to make sure any static entries are updated.

If you are planning to bring in Exchange 2k3 I believe it is best to get your 2k3 domain stable first.  I don't think it is required though, but I'm not positive.

Just like anything else though it is best to finish one project before starting the next that way you aren't caught trying to troubleshoot conflicting issues.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Alborzfard, Alex
Posted At: Monday, October 10, 2005 9:16 AM
Posted To: ActiveDirectory
Conversation: [ActiveDir] AD Migration Question
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] AD Migration Question

Thanks for the advice! Excuse my ignorance, but how do I upgrade the schema, while I’m installing the WIN2K3 server? Ditto for migrating FSMOs.

Does it mean that I would have a 2K and 2K3 AD domain coexisting for a while until I remove 2K AD?

When you said move DNS, WINS, DHCP, you meant Just installing them on the new server, right?

Did you also have to migrate Exchange (from 2K to 2K3) by any chance? If so, in what sequence you did the upgrade?

Thanks

--Alex