Peter,

Though it may appear that I have a vested interest in keeping you on our OS,
those that know me know that if a reasonable argument is presented - I will
assist in the migration for our customers.  It's simply good practice and
good relations.

Typically, when I hear that a customer wants to move from Windows DNS to
BIND, there is a reason.  I'm interested in yours, and will provide guidance
in kind.

If it's Politically motivated (and you're not the instigator) I think that
we can help you with the case to stay the course.  Again - there has to be a
reason.  Management doesn't make decisions lightly (in most cases...).  Did
someone just get to Gartner (which there is a big Symposium going on this
week) and pull a 'hey...  Gartner says...'  Those are always fun to shoot
down.

If the issue is of cost - it's not a good one, and I can provide the reasons
for why this move will cost more.

If it's inter-operability with other BIND implementation, again - I can
provide the reasons for why this might not be a good move.

If it's Security - let's talk about how to lock down the OS.  If it's simply
security, Linux is not the answer.

If it is that this server is going in the DMZ for external serving of DNS -
let's talk about the benefits of getting you there.

I, like the rest of this group, want to find out why you want to move your
DNS to BIND.  Make no mistake - Active Directory works best with Microsoft
DNS.  Every implementation I have done otherwise has had problems.  Not
insurmountable, but your BIND Admins have to learn a whole new set of skills
to handle "those damn Windows Machines".

As to answering your questions:

1.  Very viable (again, given the caveat that Windows DNS works best when
dealing with MS clients and Active Directory - BIND requires some added care
and feeding.  As to scalability - BIND is as scalable as anything else.  It
carries less overhead, if it's the only daemon serving off of the system.
Scale for BIND is width, not depth, but you can grow a box to meet the
requirements, which are more request query (read) oriented, and write with
updates from other DNS.

2.  Versions used have been 4.x on up through 9. (whatever the latest
version of 9 is/was)  If for Active Directory, Must be greater than 8.2....
(for DDNS support)

3.  Because MS-DNS and BIND use two different methods of doing secure
updates (authN to the actual box for confirming I can re-write the record or
enter a new one) the issue of secure updates isn't even in the picture.  To
me, it's a low to medium risk issue.  It all depends where you're going to
use it and how well the rest of the box is secured.  Windows DNS with its
secure updates may not be as secure as most admins think - security begins
at the OS, not the DNS service level.

4. Gotchas...  Huh.  Biggest one I've already mentioned.  MS DNS works best
WITH Active Directory.  MS DNS works great with BIND as a peer or (in the
typical hierarchical DNS structure) parent DNS.  Forwarding, conditional,
stub zones - they all work extremely well, and IMHO - surpass BIND in
capability.  There is (not to my knowledge at least) a good interface for
BIND.  Seems that most BIND admins are pretty much at home with Vi and Lint
or Dig.  (Funny, though - if someone is so hardcore that they want to do
that on Windows - they can....)  All of these tools exist for use on MS DNS
as well.  Most shops dedicate ~50% of a resource's time to managing BIND.
I'd spend, typically 30 minutes daily checking logs and adding static
requests for servers that required such.

So, there you have what I can skim off the top of my head.  Again - toss
your reasons for wanting to do this.  I'm sure many of us are quite curious.

Rick [msft]
--
Posting is provided "AS IS", and confers no rights or warranties ...