-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of joe
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2005 4:20 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] salary(OT)

I would have to concur with most if not all of this. I don't much mind the
OT posts as long as the subject is prefixed with a [OT] so it can be easily
filtered out when sorting by subject or even if you use outlook to colorize
the messages or folderize them or something else. Even the OT posts often
seem to be a source of great learning.

I have to say that I particular agree with the google piece. Google is your
friend, maybe at some point MSN Search will also be your friend as well even
though you can use the name as a verb. In addition, no one is automatically
a great let alone good troubleshooter. It is one of those things where you
watch others solve issues in front of you or you work hard trying to noodle
through the problem. You look at perf counters you look at network traces
and you figure it out. Something weird going on, do a netmon of it working
and of it not working, what is the difference? You don't necessarily have to
be a network tracing expert to do that. I started out that way and slowly
grew to being able to generally get a feel for what is going on in a trace.
No one sat me down and said this is how you do it, here are some pointers,
etc. I had the one Enterprise NT4 course which mostly just burned your brain
out versus teaching anything useful. I learned too things when I came out of
that course, I learned I hated network traces and I learned that if you hear
a word enough times in a one hour period that word will cease to connect to
anything in your mind. I got to the point where I could hear the word
"trust" and I honestly couldn't associate it with anything. It was like I
had never heard the word in my entire life.

So anyway, run into an issue, keep bumping into it and try to work through
it. Google it, try to teach yourself as much about it as possible. You can
certainly ask and if the answer is quickly returned, there is a good chance
you won't learn nor recall it.

I also agree with Susan that the best way to learn the material is to teach
it. I used to tutor folks at Michigan State forever ago and besides getting
lots of good dates, I found I learned Calculus, Physics, and the various C
and ASM coursework much better because I had to explain it to someone in a
way that made sense to them. By the time I had tutored my third Calc student
I had done a couple of things, first I had learned Calc far better than I
had ever learned in class all the way up to Calc IV and I had gotten a
reputation of only tuturing really smart girls. ;o)