For starters look at:
MS-KBQ314649_W2K3 ADPREP Command Causes Mangled Attributes in W2K Forests That
Contain E2K Servers
MS-KBQ325379_How to Upgrade Windows 2000 Domain Controllers to Windows Server
2003
MS-KBQ555040_Common Mistakes When Upgrade Windows 2000 Domain To Windows 2003
MS-KBQ324392_Enhancements to Adprep.exe in Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1
and in hotfix 324392
Also see:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/bc5ebbdb-a8d7-4761-b38a-e207baa73419.mspx)
http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2003_adprep.htm
MS-KBQ555038_How to enable Windows 98-ME-NT clients to logon to Windows 2003
based Domains
MS-KBQ887426_Incorrect Schema extension for OS X prevents ForestPrep from
completing in Windows 2000
MS-KBQ555262_Common Mistakes When Upgrading Exchange 5.5-2000 To a Exchange 2003
MS-KBQ822942_Considerations When You Upgrade to Exchange Server 2003

(1) well that depends if you are doing an in-place upgrade of the server or
"transfering" functionality to a new server version. If you will an in-place
upgrade of the servers you need to upgrade Exchange first to 2003 and then
WIndows to 2003. If you are introducing new hardware for the newer versions you
can do it simultaneously.

(2) I hate in-place upgrades so I always try to avoid them as crap always
remains. If you have new hardware introduce the new freshly installed servers.
If you don't have new HW, well there is only one option (besides using the
swing method at a time) and that is doing an in-place upgrade

(3) see 2

(4) gothas/not to forget
* Make sure you move the RUS from E2K to E2K3 before increasing the FFL to W2K3
(reason: LVR, as E2K might not see changes) (I think it is also mentioned in
one of the KB articles)
* READ the KB articles well. They contain tons of info on how to do it the
right way!
* Don't forget other services like DHCP, WINS, DNS (as in configured IP
addresses of the W2K servers that should be changed to the W2K3)
* Introduce the new servers (DC with DHCP, WINS, DNS if applicable) change
TCP/IP settings of all servers in the network to the new servers. Stop and
disable services to see if you have forgotten something and after a while
shutdown and remove servers

Good luck!

Cheers,
Jorge