From: "Edwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org>
Subject: [ActiveDir] Hardware Suggestions
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 07:52:39 -0500

Currently there is an open thread entitled "RAID suggestions for DC; maybe
OT".  I didn't want to dirty that thread by introducing my question that
builds upon it.

How about other hardware requirements such as CPU, Disk Size and RAM?  RAID
configuration I think is documented very well but how can you scale Active
Directory's growth?

I downloaded ADSizer
(http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/new/adsizer-o.as
p) but the recommended hardware did not display good results in my opinion.
It was suggested that I have a machine with 4 x 933 Xeon Processors and 512
MB or RAM.  It just does not make sense to me to have so much CPU but so
little RAM.  ADSizer does recommend Disk recommendations, but my results
returned a System Disk in RAID1 but nothing for Log or Database Disks.

In the environment that I wish to deploy a new domain, I will have around
150 or so member computers and possibly 50 or so others that are stand alone
workstations.  MS Exchange 2003 will also be a part of the domain.
Initially, I do not think that any attributes other than the required
defaults will be used on user objects, but eventually I would like to
populate or add this information in the future.

Are there guidelines on recommended hardware for DC's in a domain?  MS
Exchange seems to be well documented on this but I have not found much on
DC's.

Thanks,

Edwin

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx