-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Al Mulnick
Sent: Mon 07/11/2005 20:41
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Hardware Suggestions

> Interesting.  If that solution becomes a problem, have a look at
> http://www.centrify.com and see if you can change some of that :)

Hmmm either their demo does a poor job of explaining their product or their
product would actually be a downgrade for us!

To cut a long story short, we use no 3rd party software, it's all done with
default Apple and MS tools. We're using AD to hold all of our user objects and
most of the group objects, so our password and security policies are already
enforced "out of the box". OS X desktops have computer accounts in an AD OU in
order for the machines to authenticate to AD, and join the domain as part of
their install routine.

What exists in Open Dir is one or two "built in" groups that we drop AD groups
into and various other objects which describe various default settings to apply
to desktop machines (vaguely like GPOs but not as sophisticated). The stuff
that goes here is really minimal from our point of view but those little bits
make a big difference to the "user experience".

> Seriously, it is interesting and I'm interested to hear of the long term
> results as they occur.  Shall we check back in a year or so?

Surely. I'm certain I'll have either set fire to the Apple servers we have now
by then or purchased another one. We installed our server in August and while
it's only been a few months now things have been working very well so far I
have to say, and once the config was complete this setup has required very
little day to day admin time. It's far more robust than I was probably making
it sound earlier!

rob