> 1. Outlook has known issues on top of a system with
   mapi/Exchange dlls

I believe the reverse is also true; the dll's that Outlook installs may muck up the DC as well as it fights to repair itself.

There is no good reason to install Outlook on a server. If you need to mail items, there are *countless* better ways to achieve that goal vs. installing a desktop app on a machine designated to hold a server role that wouldn't cause the threats, instability potential, and troubleshooting issues you'd face with lookOUT! on your servers :)

If you need better ways to be able to cause your backup program to email results (which I doubt is your best answer considering) drop me a note offline. I'd be more than happy to help as this is a pet peeve of mine. Servers should NOT host desktop or "convenience" apps. It's just bad practice and I've never seen it end well to date.

-ajm