Hmmm interesting thing you bring up Joe – cleanup defaults… and for that matter, other configuration defaults.  Microsoft could set defaults on all these things, but I doubt the defaults would work as one-size-fits-all.  A book could be written giving lots of various things like this that people don’t think and/or know to do, along with recommendations and all the variables surrounding them (i.e. if you have more than x users and y computers and z sites and n DCs then you should clean this up, etc).  Or maybe someone could write a wizard that would cover a lot of this obscure configuration and maintenance stuff, from this, to DNS scavenging, etc (check boxes are great as to what to include), and it could walk you through (how many users, how many computers, or it could even analyze stuff from the directory itself) and then give recommended values you can tweak if you want, and write a configuration file.  Then run the utility with a -forreal switch and it pops up all the things it’s about to do/configure for you, make you check the things you want to do, and go out and do them.

Not for the faint of heart, I admit… and it might eat into some consulting $$ for some people… but others would probably benefit from the scattered advice of what to scavenge, tombstone, disable, delete, etc all put into one wizard.

I’m just talking off the cuff here though, so maybe I’m full of non-practical ideas this afternoon J

Rich Milburn
MCSE, Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Sr Network Analyst, Field Platform Development
Applebee's International, Inc.

4551 W. 107th St
Overland Park, KS 66207
913-967-2819
”I love the smell of red herrings in the morning” - anonymous