*From:* [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] *On Behalf Of *Al Mulnick
*Sent:* maandag 19 december 2005 17:18
*To:* ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
*Subject:* Re: [ActiveDir] Alternate NetBIOS/DNS name for W2K3 DC

Let's start with the first part:

Why do you want to allow somebody to map a drive to a DC? What are you trying to accomplish for the final solution?

On 12/19/05, *Snoeijen, Helmuth* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

I want to add an alternate name for a Windows 2003 domain controller. This is possible using the NETDOM command line tool. Then registering the name in DNS using "IPCONFIG /registerdns" and finally registering it in WINS using "NBTSTAT –RR". So far so good.

However when I try to map a network drive using this alternate name I get a "duplicate name on the network" error message. So my question here, is it possible to add an alternate name for a Windows 2003 domain controller and use it for mapping drives?

Some specs:

- Domain functional level: Windows Server 2003

- Windows 2003 sp0 and sp1 (tried both and no difference)

- It is working when adding a name for a Windows 2003 member server !!!

Kind Regards,

Helmuth

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx