As an intermediate vbscripter, I fully agree with this.  I can write
some WMI and ADSI vbscript code off the top of my head, but I tend to
copy lots of snippets from other scripts (like
And I rely on Visual Studio or VbsEdit or FrontPage (for HTAs) to
autocomplete oFSO. (i.e. oFSO.FileExists) (well not for FSO anymore, but
for lots of others...)
I installed Monad beta, and looked at it briefly, but I think I will
continue to use vbscript and WSH for a while because I just don't have
the time currently to dive into it.  It's on my Cool Things To Learn
list though.  So how could I be jump-started into using it?  Give me
samples - lots of sample code - how do I do something I'm doing already,
but by using Monad?  Having the GUI export the routine via Monad is an
excellent idea, 'cause I personally hate clicking Next.

Why do I like scripting?
1) it takes my finger off the Next buttons
2) it creates a reproducible way to perform a task without a document
describing how to click Next and what not to change
3) I'm lazy and would rather spend 4 hours and 45 minutes writing a
script to do 100 tasks in 15 minutes, than spend 5 hours doing the same
task 100 times.
4) if the same thing comes up again, next time it will take me 30
minutes to find the script I used, and 15 minutes to run it.
5) if it comes up again, I might be able to pawn the task off on someone
else - i.e. I'm no longer required to input those 100 accounts from the
spreadsheet, or whatever it is.
6) if I need to change something in the script, it's all right there, I
don't have to open the source and recompile.

If I knew some other language - i.e. something.NET - I might be more
excited about being able to do #6 in C# or vb.NET in Monad, because I
know they can do a lot more than vbscript.  But for now, I like my
vbscript and HTA files, despite all their shortcomings.  NCR staging
people unofficially told me last week that my latest XP desktop build
(lots of scripting to configure the OS and software) is the easiest and
most automated install they do (and there are a lot of others there).
So my efforts are paying off now :)

Rich Milburn
MCSE, Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Sr Network Analyst, Field Platform Development
Applebee's International, Inc.
4551 W. 107th St
Overland Park, KS 66207
913-967-2819
"I love the smell of red herrings in the morning" - anonymous