>>>One of my major uses of differencing disks is to configure a SINGLE server
in multiple ways to see how the different configurations affect the same
server so I can test apps under those different configs. Maybe one version of
the differencing is applying a bunch of specific QFEs, another is loading a
specific SP, another is the base image.

>>>Depends entirely on what you are doing. If they don't have to communicate
with each other or to a domain, sure you can.

All very true.

>>> I don't think I can convince you of anything other than what you have set
your mind on what virtualization is.

Darn right about that ;-p

>>> All I can say is that I would fight tooth and nail to prevent auto
re-SIDding of virtuals based off of differencing disks.

This is the second time you've snuck "auto" into the conversation. I don't
believe I did say "auto" change the SID. I said some intelligence to detect
that this is a diff disk, and an option to be able to say "yeah, whack the
SID". A checkbox that then triggers something inside vmadditions (or a custom
script) will do fine, thank you very much.

>>> Fortunately, I don't believe that it is going to happen.

Of course not. Not after you've totally dissed it :)

>>>The virtualization software, in order to accomplish this would have to
reach quite deeply into the OS itself which is what I think should be
avoided.

It doesn't have to, really. Imagine a check-box, that puts a flag in .vmc,
that gets launched as soon as you boot up the vm off the diff disk. You get
prompted with something like "Hey! are you going to use this machine like Joe
does, or are you going to use it like Deji does?" If you choose the Joe
option, it then goes "ho hum ..... what fun is that?" and quick. If you
choose the Deji option, it goes and launch something NewSID-like and change
the SID.

But, since I don't think I can convince you of anything other than what you
have set your mind on what virtualization is, I'd have to stop here [1] :O

[1] I asked Jorge to try this out in VMWare and see if, perhaps, they have
figured a way around this.

Sincerely,

Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCT
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services