-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Al Lilianstrom
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 7:19 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] OT: speaking of AD books...

I lost track of which book Joe was writing about below. Can someone
refresh my memory?

As for Joe writing a book about how he does things - what would be cool.

        al

Rich Milburn wrote:
Joe I have one question for you on this book before mine arrives... am

I going to read it, and then start bugging you again about compiling a

book of AD and server best practices based off of all the good novels you have posted on this list??

:)

In fact... come to think of it... maybe there is still an unwritten book... one that takes topics that tend to come up on this list and deals with each on a discussion basis. It might be more useful for consultants and architects though, but still... two examples:

1) empty root domain issue - pros and cons
2) remotely managing DCs - joe you once had a long spiel on how you used to manage all those DCs remotely, and rather than give someone DA

rights to work on it, you'd demote it, then rebuild it from bare metal. A decent percentage of us probably knows how to do these
things remotely.
But what if someone wanted to set something like this up, and it was a

new concept to them. Is there a guide out there anywhere that could show how to do it? From setting up the imaging software, to configuring a DC image to come up without someone clicking any buttons
locally, etc?

A book like that would probably want a lot of input from a lot of people, because the answers to a lot of best practices questions are "it depends". But I bet there's a need...

Rich
-
Rich Milburn
MCSE, Microsoft MVP - Directory Services Sr Network Analyst, Field Platform Development Applebee's International, Inc.
4551 W. 107th St
Overland Park, KS 66207
913-967-2819
"I love the smell of red herrings in the morning" - anonymous