From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Fugleberg, David A
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 12:48 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] Lotus Sametime and LDAP access to AD

Has anyone on the list ever run into this ?  A systems integrator I know told me that they were trying to integrate Lotus SameTime with AD as part of an enterprise portal configuration.  Apparently SameTime can authenticate using LDAP binds and also grab user information which SameTime uses for its configuration.

Anyhow, it chokes when it tries to retrieve the user information.  Apparently, they try to query on all users within the specified scope, but without using the LDAP paging control.  The integrator sent me this URL to the technote published by IBM on the subject

http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=899&uid=swg21090028

From the referenced technote:

Currently, Sametime must pull all users from the LDAP server and will reach the limit set on the LDAP server, if a limit is set to be lower than the amount of users that Sametime can search for.

And then this little gem:
The following can resolve the error on an Active Directory server:

  • In Active Directory, go to a command line and type:

    ntdsutil
    ldap policies
    connections
    connect to server <local server name>
    set creds <local domain name> administrator <admin password>
    quit
    show values
    set MaxPageSize to 100000
    commit changes

    Note If the amount of users/groups on the AD server is larger than 100,000, the MaxPageSize value should be set higher.

When I regained my composure, I replied with a note to the effect that there is absolutely no way I would advocate opening that throttle by a factor of 100 (or more!).  There have been numerous threads on this list about MaxPageSize, usually ending with a pronouncement from ~Eric or joe saying "Just don't do it - use LDAP paging".

I'm just curious if anyone else has run into this with SameTime, and also whether Microsoft has directly addressed this kind of advice from IBM or anyone else.

Dave