There's also the liability issue of "I host my own copy of some bits.
My copy of those bits gets hacked or otherwise b0rked.  Random
customer uses my bits, hoses their machine, sues Redmond."

At least, that's the reasoning I encountered when I had the
conversation about higher ed being able to hand out SP2 CDs.  Whatever
the reason, it's not kosher under any licensing terms that I'm
familiar with.  Based on your description of your environment, I'd
definitely go the distributed WSUS route if your WAN links are getting
overloaded.

- L