Assigning IP’s based off of MAC addresses would be a huge headache!  Besides, just as you said the “network savvy” person can easily find out the IP range if needed and assign them self an IP and spoof the MAC if needed.

If something like this is possible, I would like to have a more concrete solution.

But thank you very much for your reply.

Edwi

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Marc A. Mapplebeck
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2006 7:38 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Getting better control over DHCP

I'm not sure if it's the best way to do it, but you could set your entire scope to be in one exclusion range, then assign static DHCP to authorised MACs. After that, for added security, you could set a second scope to give out leases outside your network range so that unauth ppl will get a lease, but not be able to see anybody, only downside to that would be that the network savvy user could look under network settings and see what the IP of the DHCP server is and then assign a static IP within that range. HTH - Marc